Saturday, September 20, 2008

A trip to the Kiva Orchard

Just outside of town there is an orchard called Kiva Orchard that for some reason (I think it has to do with bankruptcy) they are letting people pick the fruit for free. So yesterday I took a trip up there with several of my friends and their kids to pick apples and peaches.
I had Cole and Landon with me (Kaleb was in school) and we picked some apples first and then peaches. Of course when I got home I had to go through the box and pick out some of the ones the kids put in there, but they did try to help and I think they enjoyed it.
Here is a picture of Sarah Hurst and Michelle Veach on thier ladders picking apples. The apples were really small so I didn't get alot, just enough for us to eat ourselves.
Here is the box of peaches we picked. I decided to break in the pressure canner my mom gave me for Christmas last year and try canning a batch of peaches.
My friend Monica came over this morning and helped me get started canning. There was alot of peeling and cutting, but I felt like I was being really resourceful for once. I know there are people that can lots of things every year, but that is not something I grew up with so this was all new to me. I ended up canning 5 quarts and 4 pints of peaches. I hope they are yummy!

5 comments:

Waco Gropp said...

Save some of those peaches, I comeing trough in November....

On Our List said...

Good job Julie. They look awesome. It made me crave peach cobbler. YUM!!!

Love ya!!!

Steven & Adrienne said...

Wow, you are so awesome. I wish I had the ambition to do all of that. Maybe I still will, you have inspired me. And hey I thought your garden looked great. It has been a hard year with all the cold weather, but you did a great job!!!

Unknown said...

I think that the orchard should be donated to the Southwest open high in Cortez Co the school has a agriculture class. It would keep the orchard thiving it has lots to offer people and fruit is so expensive in the stores. It's a shame to see it just dieing off. With the right people taking care of it it could come back.It could really benefit so many.

Unknown said...

my name is Cheryl Stone and I posted the little note about donating it to the Southwest Open High School in Cortez Co.. A friend of mine took me out there today and we got some apples it's a great little place.