Saturday, September 27, 2008

Apple Picking

This morning we went apple picking at the Colorado Agricultural Extension just outside of town. These apples were big and beautiful and were just 50 cents a pound.
We caravaned with some friends of ours and our kids enjoyed playing and picking with thier kids.
There were lots of different kinds of apples and they were low enough that the boys could reach them. They even allowed taste testing, so of course we all had to try different varieties.
Cole enjoyed using the apple picking pole to get the apples at the tops of the trees, but we really didn't need them because there were so many down low that were great.
Kaleb had a loose tooth, so I thought he might leave the orchard without it, but he managed to keep it in even after he ate several apples.
I ended up buying 28 lbs of apples and I plan on canning apple pie filling and maybe applesauce. We'll see how many apples fit in each jar. I probably won't be canning until Monday because I want to get it all done in one day. I love fall and apple picking was a great sign that the weather is getting cooler and fall is here.

1 comment:

Janelle said...

That sounds so awesome and I am super jealous to see pictures of kids in jackets! It's still in the 90's here! Oh, how I love Autumn and can't wait for it to arrive!