Saturday, September 20, 2008

How does your garden grow?

Our garden has done okay this year, although I would have liked it to produce more.
We only got 2 heads of broccolli, which is disappointing because Kaleb loves broccolli.
We have gotten cherry tomatoes constantly all season, but most of my big tomatoes aren't ripe yet. You can't make much with the cherry tomatoes but they are really good on salads.
I find out now that our growing season is too short for cantaloupe, so although we had lots of cantaloupe, they are all really small. From about 15 cantaloupe that I picked, I only chopped up one large bowls worth of cantaloupe.
We had 3 boxes worth of veggies: cantaloupe and broccolli, cucumbers and tomatoes. Next year we are hoping to either add more boxes or rows in the ground.

Last year we had lots of cucumbers for the number of plants we had in one box, so this year I gave them their own box so they would have enough room to spread out. Well they didn't so I guess I won't get pickles this year either.
We have some good cucumbers but many of them I think got too much sun because they are turning yellow.
This is our second year at gardening and we are getting better. I would eventually like to have enough in our garden to make salsa and spaghetti sauce and can pickles. Maybe next year won't be so cold in June and we can start sooner. I do enjoy seeing the fruits of our labors this time of year and I think it is a good lesson for the kids to learn about planting seeds and watching them grow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very good lesson!! I hope to do that someday...when we have our own place to do it.