Thursday, August 9, 2012

Name that Bird!


On our way to pick peaches yesterday, I spotted these 2 birds sitting on the fence on the side of the road. It was a empty country road, so I took this picture and then turned around to get a closer look.

I thought they were golden eagles and was amazed that they didn't fly away when I slowed down and started taking pictures.



Finally one of them flew off and I got it on camera. 

I was so excited to get these pictures and about 20 more.
I thought for sure they were golden eagles. When I got home I pulled up the pictures and compared them to pictures of golden eagles and hawks online. I have since determined that this is probably a red tailed hawk.

What a bummer. Anyway, I think the pictures came out great so I'll keep them.

We have several bald eagles that fly around in our neighborhood, but I can never get that close to them. Even with my 300mm zoom, this is as close as I could get before it flew away:

I will be watching for that eagle again and I will get a close up of him eventually!
Patience is a virtue.



No comments: